It’s finally summer! This year in New England we have had warm days and cool nights for sleeping. This is almost the perfect conditions for an awesome summer. This is the time of the year that all of us break out the sunblock and lather up to protect ourselves from UV rays and of course sun-burn.
“UV Rays” Ultraviolet Rays don’t just affect humans and animals. It also causes “UV Fading”, which is a changing in color with time. When you leave the windows open and the sun shining on that new carpet you just installed, it will cause “UV Fading” according to the Florida Solar Energy Center.
The heat and the sun’s rays will damage your carpet over time. Have you ever moved a chair that has stayed in the same spot for many years and noticed that the carpet is brighter and cleaner in that spot? You can thank UV Rays for the gift of fading. Now you may be thinking that you can stop or slow that process by turning on the air conditioner and keeping the house cool. That won’t reduce the fading effect in the long run.
Here are some quick, simple cost-effective ways to keep your rugs and furniture protected during the intense heat of the summer months.
- When you wake up in the morning before you get your day started, close the blinds, drapes or shades. Your house is at its coolest point first thing in the morning. Turn the AC on at this time of the morning also, this will help to maintain the temperature and cost you less money in the end.
- Depending on what type of windows you have, use a protective window treatment that will block the UV rays. These types of products range from a clear UV protection film that applies directly to the window to installing a solar shade for each window that will allow partial light through and protect your furniture and carpets.
- You can use carpet protectors, like 3M Scotchgard Carpet Upholstery Protector. These two products offer another layer of protection not just from fading, but also from the unwanted spills that happen in life. Scotchgard repels spills, blocks stains and resists soiling. This is a great product if you have little kids in the house that track mud and dirt in.
So what to do if you haven’t done any of these things in your home or office: First you should start with hiring a commerical carpet cleaning service to clean your carpets/rugs. I’m not talking about renting out the Rug Doctor machine at your local hardware store. Hiring a professional cleaner to come in with a truck mounted cleaning system will make a huge difference in the quality of cleaning you get for your rugs. These systems produce more pressure and heat thus giving your rugs a deeper cleaning.
Once you have a commercial carpet cleaning done to all of the carpets in your building, have them apply the Scotchgard to give your home or business an extra layer of protection. Now you are ready to go through the next steps above to properly guard your carpets into the future.
- Hire a commercial carpet cleaning company to clean all your carpet/rugs annually. This will extend the life of them dramatically.
- Don’t forget to “shade”, get window treatments done to reduce the amount of UV light into the building.
- Keep it cool! During the summer months try to keep your building cooler. This will help to keep your people happy and reduce the heating/cooling effect each day on your carpets.
- The most common areas where germs hide.
- How to keep your office space germ free.
- FREE scheduling chart for daily cleaning.
- What to use to clean these areas.
- How to protect your health at work.
Download your free copy today!